"When I forget my ways, I am in The Way"

Philosophical and experiential notes on Nothingness, with supporting insights from martial arts, quantum physics and Taoism


27 March 2014

Common practices


I have been practicing and applying universal principles for a long time. We all do. Whether consciously or subconsciously, each of is reaching for universal principles such as balance or harmony. In my own life and practice, I've found it terrifically difficult to convey the value of conscious, deliberate practice of universal principles. And it has been even more difficult for me to get across the idea that they are linked, that some of them are circular, others are consecutive and have a 'firing order' and so on. This short excerpt bypasses the issues that personally vex me, and instead points out the value of universal practice. - MW
______________

"Some people talk about the common points in religions or in spiritual studies. What, however, is a practical application of the value of commonality? I believe it can be found in the application of universal solutions. Overcoming the Paralysis of Our Limitations represents the difficulty we all experience in our advancement through life. My own research and experience has shown that all of nature, including humanity, has this condition to contend with. If we are to overcome our limitations successfully, we must incorporate methods that work universally. Each of us is an individual with individual conditions and circumstances governing our lives. Yet, each of us individuals make up the collective of all humanity’s past, present and future. Humanity is but an individual component of nature, the universe and God. So, to solve our difficulties successfully, we must choose methods that work individually, while also working collectively in all or any application. "

Scott Walter, Sensei. “Overcoming the Paralysis of Our Limitations”. Montvale: Great River Press, 1998. (6)